Connect with us

Robber caught by have-a-go heroes after grabbing woman’s earrings


Robber caught by have-a-go heroes after grabbing woman’s earrings


hero who tackled a violent robber to the floor after he ripped earrings off a woman said it was just “instinct kicking in” as made a citizen’s arrest on the thief.

Gary McKibbin, 36, was detained by several people after trying to rob jewellery off a mother walking with her 12-year-old daughter in Kyverdale Road, Stamford Hill on February 11.

Scotland Yard said “opportunistic” McKibbin and another man attacked the woman from behind before violently pushing her to the floor in an attempt to snatch more of her belongings.

But several quick-thinking passers-by intervened and managed to detain McKibbin until officers arrived a short time later.

A man described as “courageous” by police tackled the robber

He told the Standard: “I heard the hysterical screams from the mother and her young daughter.

“I immediately ran closer and saw a woman being pinned to the ground by two violent men, who were trying to steal her jewellery. The young girl was screaming hysterically with terror in her eyes.

“My instinct kicked in, and immediately ran towards them, and after a brief struggle with one of the robbers, I managed to detain this thug, until additional members of the public assisted.”

The accomplice managed to escape and is yet to be found, police said.

He is described as a black man, aged in his 30s, about 5ft 3ins to 5ft5ins. He was wearing dark clothing.

The victim described her terror in a statement read out in court: “I am scared to go out at night. I keep checking who is behind me. I am scared of every person who is unknown to me or might look a bit suspicious.”

Supt Andy Port, from the Central East area’s Neighbourhoods Team, said: “McKibbin and another man deliberately targeted a lone woman for her jewellery, violently attacking her in the process.

“Luckily, some fast thinking and courageous members of the public intervened and detained McKibbin until the swift arrival of officers. After being caught red-handed, McKibbin was left with no option but to plead guilty.

“However, we remain committed to bringing the second man to justice and I’d appeal to anyone with information to contact us or Crimestoppers.”

DI Nikki Hardy, said: “I am proud of the work conducted by my investigation teams in helping to bring this violent offender to justice so quickly. And I am very grateful to the members of the public who assisted on the night of the incident.”

McKibbin, 36, of Edmeston Close, E9, was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court on Tuesday, 14 March to three years and two months’ imprisonment.

He pleaded guilty at the same court on Tuesday, March 7 to robbery.

Anyone with information about the second suspect is asked to contact police on 101 or Tweet @MetCC quoting CAD 7843/11FEB.

Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or visit

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in London

To Top