Black cab rapist John Worboys is reportedly being investigated over an alleged sex attack in the 1990s. The 68-year-old predator, now known as John Radford, was locked up indefinitely for public protection with a minimum term of eight years in 2009, after he was found guilty of 19 sex offences against 12 women between 2006 and 2008.
He was later jailed for life with a minimum term of six years at the Old Bailey in December 2019 after he admitted spiking the drinks of four different women.
Police are now investigating an alleged rape more than 25 years ago in Blackpool, when Worboys worked as a stripper, the Sunday Mirror reported. Lancashire Police said: “We received a report of rape which was reported to have happened in the late 1990s in Blackpool. An investigation was launched, and our enquiries are ongoing. No one has been arrested at this stage.”
Worboys, from Enfield, north London, became known as the black cab rapist after attacking victims in his Hackney carriage. Police previously said that they believe the former male stripper committed offences against more than 100 women before he was caught.
In a number of instances, he pretended to be celebrating a win on the horses, or the lottery, as a pretext to giving his victims alcohol, which he had laced with drugs.
During his sentencing at the Old Bailey, the court heard he had told a psychologist his offending had been inspired by pornography, and he admitted plying a total of 90 women with alcohol, and drugging a quarter of them.
Worboys also said he had been “fantasising” about his crimes since 1986, and was motivated by “hostility towards women”.
Sign up to our London Court & Crime newsletter for the latest major court updates and breaking news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up HERE