Lorry driver who killed 4 London day-trippers in M25 crash is jailed

By Staff

A lorry driver has been jailed after he ploughed into a stationary minibus and killed four day-trippers travelling home on the M25. Ethan Burdett, 67, had been travelling on the motorway when he failed to react to queueing traffic as he approached the exit slip and crashed into the back of the minibus.

Burdett, of Ipswich, Suffolk, appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday (Thursday, July 4) where he was sentenced for four counts of causing death by careless driving.

He was jailed for three years for four counts of causing death by careless driving following the collision in which four people died. Burdett was disqualified from driving for four-and-a-half years and will be required to undertake a retest.

The lorry driver pleaded guilty at a hearing earlier this year following the fatal crash on the M25 on August 23, 2021.

READ MORE: Strangler blames kitten after smashing into ex-girlfriend’s home and throttling her ‘for a cuddle’

Roads Policing officers were called to the M25 in Waltham Abbey shortly after 6.15pm on August 23, 2021, following reports a lorry had collided with a minibus.

An investigation by our Serious Collision Investigation Unit established Burdett had been travelling between junction 27 and junction 26.

As he approached the exit slip road to junction 26, he failed to react to stationary traffic queuing in lane 1 and collided with the rear of the minibus which shunted forward and struck a car.

When officers arrived, they saw that the minibus and lorry both had sustained substantial damage.

Of the 11 passengers in the minibus – who were returning to London following a day trip to Southend – four passengers were seriously injured. Three additional passengers and the driver of a Mondeo, which was shunted forward, all sustained minor injuries.

Abigael Muamba, 31, Dexter Augustus, 60, and Jennifer Smith, 59, all died in the collision. Lisa Gardiner, 44, also later died of her injuries.

The anti-clockwise section of the M25 was closed for 11-and-a-half hours.

Roads Policing officer Detective Inspector Mark Fraser said :”My thoughts, and those of all my officers who have been involved in the investigation, continue to be with the families and friends who lost their loved ones that evening.”

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *